International Study Group Investigating Drugs As Reinforcers (ISGIDAR)
Revisions Adopted June 14, 2014
I. Name and objective
The name of this Association shall be International Study Group Investigating Drugs as Reinforcers (ISGIDAR). The object of the Association shall be to promote interest in, and to facilitate the dissemination of, new information related to drugs as reinforcers, especially as it may relate to human drug abuse.
1. ISGIDAR shall be made up of Members and Sponsoring Members. Any person holding an academic or scientific degree or working toward such a degree and who is actively engaged in or interested in research related to drugs as reinforcers shall be eligible to become a Member. Sponsoring Membership shall be offered to organizations with an interest in basic or applied research in the field of drugs as reinforcers.
2. Application for Membership: Current ISGIDAR members can submit nominations at the annual business meeting or submit nominations in writing to the President at any other time during the year.
3. Election to Membership
a. Individuals nominated at the annual meeting will be elected to membership by a yes vote of 90% of the governing body.
b. Individuals nominated directly to the President will be elected to membership by unanimous vote of the Board of Officers. In this case, the results of the election will be announced at the next business meeting.
4. Membership may be rescinded by action of the Board of Officers of ISGIDAR for justifiable causes. Paid dues must be returned to the ex-member along with notification of termination of membership in writing and an explanation of the reason for removal. Any member so removed may appeal this action to the Membership at the first meeting of ISGIDAR occurring more than 30 days following notification of termination of membership by board action.
III. Governing Body
1. Members present at each business meeting of ISGIDAR constitute the governing body provided a quorum is met. A quorum consists of at least two members of the Board of Officers plus at least 10 members. Each Member has one vote. The Membership present at the meeting can decide by simple majority vote about the following items:
a. Minutes of the previous meeting
b. Acceptance of financial report by the Treasurer
c. Dues and Registration Fees
d. Future meeting places
e. Adoption of a working budget
f. Election of officers
2. Changes in the bylaws may only be brought about following full discussion at the business meeting. A two-thirds majority of the members present must approve all such changes. Changes proposed at a given business meeting may be voted upon at the same meeting unless a majority of those present vote to have the proposed change distributed by mail to the membership with the announcement that the proposed change will be voted upon at the next business meeting.
1. The Board of Officers of ISGIDAR shall be made up of members who serve as:
b. Past President
2. The President shall be elected by majority vote of the governing body for a 2-year term. The term of office begins at the close of the meeting at which a President is elected and ends when the term of the President’s successor begins. An individual may serve more than one term as President, but the terms may not be sequential.
3. The Past President will serve on the Board of Officers for two years following the presidency for the same term of office as the President.
4. The Secretary shall be elected for the same term of office as the President by majority vote of the membership present. The Secretary may be re-elected for four (4) additional, sequential terms.
5. The Treasurer shall be elected for the same term of office as the President by majority vote of the membership present. No restrictions are placed on the number of times the treasurer may be reelected.
6. Powers and Duties of the Officers
1. Arrange and set the agenda for the annual scientific and business meetings
2. Preside over the annual scientific and business meetings
3. Preside over all meeting of the Board of Officers
4. Engage in fundraising and contribute to the financial stability of the organization
5. Perform such other duties as are incident to the office, including contributing to the long-term stability of the organization and meeting the objectives described in the bylaws
b. Past President
1. Ensure a smooth transition for the President
2. Provide input on the future, goals, direction, and function of the organization
3. Complete all agenda items that were not completed during the prior term when serving as President
4. Assume the President’s duties if the President is unable to act
1. Keep the minutes of ISGIDAR business meetings
2. Edit and disseminate at least one edition of the Newsletter each year
3. Serve as Parliamentarian of the organization
4. Keep and annually update the master membership list
1. Receive, disburse, and duly account for all sums of money belonging to ISGIDAR
2. Submit a written financial report each year to the Board of Officers and at each Business Meeting.
3. Assist the President in fundraising and contributing to the financial stability of the organization
7. The Officers shall represent ISGIDAR to the public.
8. The President may appoint additional officers as needed. Appointed officers will have defined roles as specified by the President, they will serve at the discretion of the President, and their terms of office will terminate at the end of the President’s term of office. An incoming President may reappoint the same individual holding an appointed position for an additional term of office.
1. Annual Business and Scientific Meetings shall be the responsibility of the President. The President or Secretary will notify all members at least 30 days prior to any business meeting of ISGIDAR
2. Scientific Meetings may be arranged in any format suitable for the communication of information and acceptable to the Board of Officers. Local arrangements will be made by the President or another individual whom the President may appoint.
3. Whenever possible, business meetings will be held in conjunction with scientific sessions. Business and scientific sessions will, insofar as possible, be held at or near the time of other national or international meetings of scientists likely to be of interest to and participated in by members of ISGIDAR.
4. The Board of Officers shall meet at such times and places as are mutually agreeable to Board Members. All Board Members must be notified of such meetings at least ten days prior to the meeting.
1. Annual dues become payable on or before the annual business meeting of the membership year. The amount of the annual dues and registration fees shall be recommended by the Board of Officers and decided upon by majority vote of the governing body at any business meeting.
1. Permanent or ad hoc committees shall be established when necessary and their members appointed either by the President or by vote of the governing body at a business meeting.